Friday 23 March 2012

Safford to Deming - Day 5





Today started slow as the wind was in my face and the road surface was terrible and undulating, however still averaged about 15mph I think I've just been spoilt over the last few days with good tail winds. We went through a few one horse towns in particular a place called Duncan, quite quaint - I do get some funny looks off the locals! The landscape is changing massively as we head south into New Mexico large open plains flanked on the horizon by mountains. The one thing that will stick in my mind is what I witnessed at the side of the roads all the way to Lordsburg was the amount of beer bottles just scattered road side, whether these are just flung from vehicles or there are parties out on the plains? There were thousands!
Maybe it was a smashed bottle on the shoulder that gave me my third puncture, my backside was killing again but a new pain was taking my mind off it - white finger in my fingers from the constant vibration through the handlebars (panty pads come in handy again)
Lunch was at Lordsburg at a garage before joining the I-10 for the last stretch to Deming. I observed that the locals probably spend more on their vehicles than their homes!
Onto the I-10 for a 70 mile stretch, this is where I am most likely to have a puncture so I get Caro to give me a head start so she is always behind me as she has the spare wheels. I had a fantastic tailwind and the road was flat I had covered over half the route and a rest stop was 2 miles up the road when Caro came passed and signaled for a stop - happy days all of a sudden the Continental divide marker sign came up I needed to get a photo, so off I went put the bike against the sign and snapped away. Within a minute of getting back on the bike that dreaded sound of the flat tyre. My predicament was either to spend 10 mins at the side of the road changing the tube or walk to the rest area - I chose to walk - trying to walk a mile in cycling shoes isn't easy and you ruin the cleats which lock you into the pedals so I took them off - a mile later a nice lady in a pick up gave me a ride to the rest area (400yds) she was equivelant to highways agency and said you cant walk on the side of the Interstate. I was grateful as my feet were getting blisters. I will just add those to the injury list
With new wheels on I finished the leg in double quick time, when I met up with Caro she told me some middle aged woman had walked around our car and taken a photo of the plate? Caro asked if she could help and whether she had offended her of which the woman acknowledged but would not say why - nutter! Personally I would of asked her not to take photos of the car! This has unsettled Caro and for all the nice, helpful people we have met this just brings you back to reality and more cautious.
Lessons learnt today
Carry more inner tubes
Trust no one
New Mexico is a bit tired and it seems to be a poor relation to the neighbour States
Caro did learn a little bit of Spanish in her classes and put it to good use today (speak English but slower in a Spanish accent)

2 comments:

  1. I tried to warn you guys about New Mexico!! :]
    -Tiffany (Safford, AZ)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right:-) we are doing well and close to halfway. Stay well
    Matt&Caro

    ReplyDelete