Tuesday 27 March 2012

Dryden to Bracketville - Day 9





Breakfast as usual but not the easterly wind I was expecting, the morning got off to a great start 20-25mph all was good, even the road surface which seems to reflect the relevant counties budget. Border Patrol are all over the place, why haven't they arrested Caroline for acting suspiciously next to the border:-) still they go about their business, I wonder if I had a better suntan and black hair would they question me? Maybe this is where the 'illegal aliens, terrorists and narcotic smugglers' are going wrong? Get a bike:-)
At least I haven't seen any reference to Apache Indians so far today they seemed to have been surpassed by Comanche Indians, apparently one in five Americans are from a Spanish origin? I would say they need to revisit those figures as there arnt many English speaking Americans round here!
Del Rio was a little bit of a dissapointment, just a strip with fast food, motels and car sales - i do ask the question do Americans cook? There seem to be more fast food joints than any other service.
At least the scenery is changing, it is getting a lot greener but also very humid. The US 90 East is fairly flat and easy going, however still not a lot to see. I didn't meet any cyclists today which surprised me as the ladies I met two days ago said I would catch them up, maybe a different route?
Just the 3 punctures today, not blow outs but slow ones. Means I didn't remove the sharp from the tyre - schoolboy error!
Bit of a boring day but really looking forward to the next few days as we get near to Austin and a ranch for Caro, also getting close to the halfway point and that means all downhill from here or should I say hot and humid:-)
Lessons learnt today:
Check tyre before inflating inner tube
Wear hi viz jacket
This area hasn't recovered from recession

No comments:

Post a Comment