Saturday 24 March 2012

Deming to Tornillo





The day started as it finished yesterday hot and on the I-10, after a nice breakfast it was time to get away and leave New Mexico behind, I for one was looking forward to Texas as it is psychologically halfway (depends where you are in Texas) and a rest day outside Austin is on the horizon (hopefully). All the time I ride on the interstaes all I can think is when is my next puncture? Progress was good, Caro was hanging back ready on the radio if required with replacement wheel.
About 10 miles west of Las Cruces I met a retired couple from Seattle, David and Nancy who were riding on a tandem, 50 miles a day! I felt like a cheat with Caroline in support but as I explained its the only way I could achieve it within my allocated leave.
Two punctures later I got diverted off the 10 as we came within the city limits the view of the Rio Grande was spectacular. Now all I had to do was navigate through and onto El Paso, all of a sudden the wind was from the south and in my face. We had lunch by the side of the road, temperature was starting to burn so went through my top to bottom regime (literally) sun cream, heat rub etc.
I cycled along the route 20 and across into Texas, the route ran parrellel to the main train line and into the suburbs of El Paso, the US/Mexican border was quite prominent this was a case of a divided city one prosperous side and one not so. After several attempts to get across I called for the cavalry to help me out and get me through the other side. I had underestimated the size of this city it wasnt vertical but horizontal and went on for miles.
I came out the other end unscathed and puncture free. I witnessed my first twister winding its way across the open ground, it was orange dust being whipped up by the wind.
Finally got off the bike after 12 hrs - I am spent!!!!! But haven't finished there, I now have tedious chore of fixing tyres and tubes. I only have 8 new left, thus repairs are required.
Lessons learnt today:
Caroline does not like Interstates
McDees doesn't do refills, but Wi-Fi is good
My body needs a day off
Lost an hours sleep as we have moved to Central time

No comments:

Post a Comment