Wednesday 4 April 2012

Pensacola to Marianna - Day 17




All excited and an early breakfast - I had a good tailwind waiting to push me along and it didn't dissapoint. On the road for 8 and pushing the big cog the road was rolling but really good surface as I breezed through the miles. The small towns were quaint and Spanish moss covered the trees giving it a haunted look. The sides of the road were swampy and wooded, no sign of gators!!!! The route was the good old US 90 East and would take me parralell to the I-10 and the main trans US rail line - Casey Jones was always my hero (for those who are old enough to remember) you could hear the engines horn as it came through the towns.
Had a DIY lunch swilled down with Dr P and got back out on the road again, I really wanted to make the most of the conditions, my progress was halted by a guy on what I can only describe as a cross trainer with wheels! He was doing a Coast to Coast over a 100 days in support of the US Marine Corp Injured. He was carrying a bergan, sleeping bag and camelbak complete with GPS - respect.
We went passed our proposed stop point in Mariana and battled on, little did we realise that we lost an hour and were now on Eastern time!!!!! Time to try and find a motel. I had made it to within 20 miles of Tallahasee:-) this means if everything goes to plan we could be in St Augustine on Friday:-) still 2 full days to go and can't take anything for granted. Another punctureless day which is always a bonus.
At the Best Western I met a State Trooper who showed a great interest in my bike and gave me some good advice for in and around St Augustine as well as the rest of Florida. He too had a Madone and was a keen cyclist. Again everybody is so pleasant and helpful.
So the penultimate day is nearly here and I can't wait.
Lessons learnt today:
This part of Florida is very similar to England - green and wet:-)
You can turn right at a red light if clear (that is for my driver:-)
I have 5 days to get rid of this ridiculous tan!
The US is a country built on convenience .

No comments:

Post a Comment