Wednesday 28 March 2012

Bracketville to Kerrville - Day 10




Thunderstorms ahead, that was the forecast for the day and they weren't wrong (weather channel) the ride started easy and the towns were being ticked off Carolines list quite quickly, it was nice to have a little bit of a tail wind for once. I don't know why but I love riding in the rain, I just seem to pick the pace up. The route took us east through a town called Uvalde, we were starting to move into ranch country, lots of big gated entrances and horses.
I met up with a guy called Don who was riding from San Diego to Jacksonville, he was riding unsupported and left SD on the 02 March and is arriving on 28 April best of luck to him - if you can get the time off or retired that is the way to do it. (Hint)
Even though the pace was good I still managed 2 punctures.
Lunch was spent a place called Hondo McDees (wireless) we had a portion of chips/ fries between us. Hate the looks I get when I walk in in Lycra! Texas is so macho.........
After lunch it was a stretch on the worse stretch of road so far, I was so pissed off, slows you down and the vibration kills as well as wrecking your bike. Felt like getting onto Lance to say if you want to be Governor get the roads sorted! True to form as we crossed a county line the road was smooth:-)
We rolled into this town called Bandera -wow it could be used as a set in a cowboy film (apart from the vehicles) it was so quaint and unspoilt this was the home of the Texan cowboy, Caro did a little shop as I watched my bike and got cold. The last leg into Kerrville was very pleasant the terrain was rolling and very green, with the weather you could have been in England apart from the Bison at the side of the road. Had to keep pinching myself at what I was seeing. Rolled into Kerrville just before last light cleaned the bike down and was tempted to use the pool but not open till May.
Tea was an Angus Mac with cheese and mushrooms and my new favourite Dr Pepper:-)
A good day:-)
Lessons learnt today:
Keep fuelled for Max performance
Put your phone in a waterproof bag
Change your song playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment