Tuesday 20 March 2012

Brawley to Salome




It was a beautiful sunrise as we drove out from our motel to the start point for today's ride of approx 140miles to Salome, Arizona. On paper it looked quite straight forward, however on the ground turned out to be very punishing. The ride started through the sand dunes with a head wind I knew then it was going to be a long day but worse was to follow the road was like a roller coaster of painful little climbs through arid desert scrub on the way to Blythe. Caroline was stopping at random points along the way and writing her journal and taking photos of the strange desert flora - I did warn her about rattlers as I had seen two roadkill!
again we came across US Border Patrol (I got worried and checked the map to make sure we weren't going the wrong way, I was right we were approx 100 miles from the border) I cycled through without being challenged, when Caro caught up with me she told me that they wanted me to stop?
Lunch was at the golden arches in Blythe, progress was good. Caro booked the motel for the evening at Salome and off we went. We crossed the Colorado river and entered Arizona, one down seven to go. As we entered all of a sudden cactus were every where. What I didn't expect was a 10 mile climb on the interstate 10 dodging rubber and debris in the hard shoulder, however every time a truck went past the force would propel you up without head wind - a welcome relief. Dare I say no punctures as yet - miracle.
Every up hill has a down hill and this didn't dissapoint all the way into Quartzsite, however followed by another climb out of the valley. I haven't mentioned by this time roadside temperature is pushing into the 80s. Energy gels and water kept me fuelled. Finally off the I-10 and onto US 60 all the way to Salome, I was feeling spent and speed was a struggle for the last 20 miles even downhill, this one horse town could not come quick enough - finally arrived at 6:30pm to a very pleasant surprise - the motel was classic western.
Lessons learnt today:
Stop at Border control points
AC/DC makes you ride faster -fact
Get a flask for hot water

No comments:

Post a Comment