Friday 30 March 2012

Bastrop to Cleveland - Day 12




Overcast and thunderstorms due, at least the wind was from the South and should assist in proppeling me to Navasato on the US 105 East. Today was the twelth day on the road and it told, I missed a lot of the scenery as my head was down trying to get a rhythm going but the roller coaster road wouldn't allow me to. Caroline seemed to be enjoying herself taking photos and admiring the scenery and every now and then giving me an update on the days progress.
At Navasoto it was a quick drink stop and on to Montgomery for lunch in a nice park. My lunch consists of anything with protein, sugar or fat so it was sausages, bread and cheese swilled down with a Dr P:-) had a lovely chat with Jess - always highlight of the day to talk - gives you strength and motivation to get there!
After lunch the terrain had flattened out and Lake Conroe was on the horizon, passing through the town of Conroe I got the impression this area was a bit if a playground for the city folk of Austin, Dallas and Houston. There were a lot of RVs the size of a single Decker bus if they weren't big enough they towed a vehicle behind, usually an SUV.
The ride suddenly hit problems as the road I was on had just been scarified and the surface was unrideable! After getting through Conroe it was a nice flat easy run into Cleveland and the Best western. A rare day - no punctures:-)
You know when you've been looking forward to something for at last 12 hours and when you get there you feel deflated well that's how I felt when Caro booked in and told me the internet and TV wasn't working! It got worse as I was trying to relax in the bath Caro informed me that the fridge and microwave weren't working either - forgive me for not getting excited by the whirlpool.
Lessons learnt today:
Maybe look at Super 8 tomorrow?
Lower cadence less strain on my left hamstring
85% humidity is uncomfortable
Day closer to home:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment