Thursday 22 March 2012

Superior to Safford





Nothing like a 4000ft climb to wake you up, I was speaking to the motel manager and he was saying that I had a 10 mile climb and there will be snow up there, he was right on both counts. Still what a wonderful experience and probably the most scenic climb I have experienced. Caro was strategically positioned with the immaculately laid out car ready with drinks, food and medical (will cover the medical aspect later!) However I'm not allowed to sit in it I case I mess it up!
I met two other coast to coast cyclists laden to the nines with panniers and the kitchen sink - how they got up that climb I don't know? Chapeau.
The scenery as we passed thru copper mining towns was breathtaking, the temperature was also breathtaking. We were well and truely in Apache country, however didn't see many wigwams:-) cactus are starting to dissapear and the ground is more open scrub as we drop down to the valley, wind is behind and the going is very good.
I was hoping for a good break at a town called Bylass, I was in need of food but more pressing was the pain in my backside similar to sitting on razor blades. The town was the proverbial one horse and very Apache Indian, what was worse was no diner!
Caro found a shop and got me a Sandwich, banana and ice cold coke, but more important some panti-pads for a bit of comfort in the nether region. 50 miles later they had passed the test, good job its a pack of 24:-)
Still on track and lodging at Safford, outside swimming pool looks inviting to tourists but the locals wouldn't entertain swimming till May at the earliest. Just met an ex Sapper left the Corps (ex 23 Amph) in 86 and has settled over here.
Lessons learnt today:
Panty pads are not just for girls
Caro has learnt to orientate a map (Google tablet)
Pointless putting suncream on my left side as it doesn't get the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment