Friday 6 April 2012

Lake City to St Augustine - Day 19


The last post, woke up early with a spring in my step knowing this was going to be the last day. The last day of living out of the trunk of the car, sore backside, white finger, backache and knackerd legs! Breakfast was the usual, even though today was approx 90 miles still have to be fuelled right to get there in good condition.


The roll out was quite tricky through the City and onto the US 100 East, wind was favourable and off I went like it was a race, I just wanted to get there and I know Caroline has wanted to for several days now. I have to say she has done a fantastic job of being there when needed with food, drink and a smile ( as well as a full fuel tank) we made good time through the middle of Florida, it was flat and road surface was new tarmac - a dream. The Weather channel predicted storms later on in the afternoon as well as heavy rain. Fortunately that wasn't the case in the morning.


Lunch was at the roadside near the Shands bridge which would take us east on the final leg into St Augustine, I was getting excited that this journey that had taken 2 years of planning and prepertion was about to end.


St Augustine city limits sign came out of the blue and with it lots of tourism, cars, amenities. All I wanted was the beach, fortunately we came across our motel on route and so checked in and got some directions. The final leg of approx 2 miles was on of the hardest I had to do! The wind had picked up and blew me backwards especially when I crossed the final bridge and down onto the penninsula where the beach was. This was it......


Caroline caught me up, by this time I was walking towards the beach in preperation to finish this epic venture. It reminded me more of John O Groats than Florida! Caro came down to the beach and I waded into the Ocean with bike - I only had thoughts for my girls, it sounds silly but I wished I wasn't here doing this but in the same thought a sense of achievement in Emilys name.


Lesson learnt today:


You can do anything if you want to


I am back in the commercial world


My bike and wheels are worth every penny

No comments:

Post a Comment